Monday, April 27, 2015
Thursday, October 9, 2014
I don't know how many of you are following this but history is happening. This week we went from 19 states allowing Marriage Equality to 36. This happened because the Supreme Court has let all lower court decisions stand instead of fighting against gay marriage. In Florida we now have 5, yes 5 court decisions saying that gay marriage should be legal here, unfortunately each time Scott and Bondi block it by issuing a stay. Now they have asked for the stays to be extended past the election and that was granted!!! So 5 court cases, 1 in Tallahassee, have all been blocked by these two. Remember that when you vote. #marriageequality #equalityflorida Equality Florida
Saturday, September 27, 2014
It has been an on going process for far too many years to get to where I feel like I fit in my own skin. With my birthday a week away it has been on my mind more lately than usual.
What am I getting at? Well, it's hard to explain but I'm talking about the process of being me and being comfortable with who I am. I don't mean that just as in my body but I mean more like I'm more okay today than ever with who I am. I embrace most of my quirks and weirdness. I'm okay putting bugs on my nose and well, if you don't get that I'm fine with that, too. I am okay with being silly even when others are looking. I'm more okay now with having my own opinions. Yes, I know some of you will find it shocking that I ever had any reluctance in sharing my opinion. It's true though. I would over think that and even after sharing wonder why I dared to open my mouth.
I've come to terms with being me. Sounds like it would be something so normal to do but I think that people may struggle with this. I can't really be the only one, right? It takes effort and time and acceptance. Heck, I'm still working on that myself. But it's taken me getting to the 40 mark to get that. Wow.
Sunday, August 17, 2014
Somehow those big-hearted gestures get me every time, yet in real life they just don't seem to happen. Well, maybe I've had a few romantic moments in my lifetime, maybe three, but I'll keep those to myself.
But never have these things happened:
- Delivery after delivery of floral arrangements filling up the room.
- Flash Mob wedding, prom or date proposal.
- Showing up with a picnic basket for a romantic evening date near a body of water.
- Those moments of dramatic speeches of "how much love there is," how "you are the one and only," "the whole world should know how much I love you..."
- The boom box held over-head playing "our song". (Okay, that is from Say Anything.)
- Giving me your one earring. (Yep, Breakfast Club.)
- The car waiting in the parking lot to take me away from reality. (Uh-huh, Pretty in Pink. It's all John Hughes fault I guess.)
- No showing up at my door with a special bottle of something.
- Rose petal path to the bedroom. (I actually don't even like that one. So cliche'.)
- Spa days scheduled because you know I needed it.
- A brand new car with a huge bow sitting outside.
- A surprise vacation of my dreams with all details thought of ahead of time.
- The surprise proposal with the perfect ring, in the perfect size.
- Coming home to a candlelit dinner.
- The long run across an open field into each others arms.
- Kissing in the rain after a long time apart.
- Running to each other at the airport.
- Waiting to hear a dedication song just for you on the radio or at the skating rink.
Tuesday, July 29, 2014
There is wonder if my life needs chaos to survive. I know that change is inevitable but it always seems to find me. Or do I look for it?
Truth is change is scary. Then again, so is stagnation. I guess that is me always, always, always trying to find that balance. Doesn't seem to matter if it hits the personal life or the professional part... It's change none the less.
Wednesday, July 2, 2014
Wow! To think that Florida may soon allow this is kind of amazing. I actually got chills and tears welled up in my eyes reading some of the different quotes that came out of the hearing today.
And now we wait. They expect the judge to rule in the next few days or weeks from what I understand.
Interesting Fact from Equality Florida: "Every court to consider these federal constitutional claims since last summer’s Supreme Court decision has ruled in favor of the freedom to marry for same-sex couples, including federal and state courts in Utah, Ohio, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kentucky, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Wisconsin."
While I may not be one of those couples waiting eagerly in line to be the first ones married if this actually happens, I will be with them in spirit. My heart will sing and be happy knowing that we are that much closer to equal rights and that maybe, maybe one day, that will be something I can have too.
Thursday, June 19, 2014
So I guess that's me.
Thing is, it is me.
I've been accused of being "independent to a fault" or "fiercely independent". I took that as such a negative. That I was unloveable, didn't need others. That's not really the case. I do need others. I thrive with contact from others.
Maybe today I just understand it a bit more. She's right. That's me. Perhaps she just really gets me. :-)