Thursday, January 30, 2014

Discussions

Well, it seems my initial post has started a few conversations and some arguments. Most notable is the debate over the phrase: "Hate the sin; not the sinner." Seriously, people do still think that way.

I posted about my experience with the saying and how much I despise it. To me it says that I know what you are doing is wrong and I'm judging you for it but with some help you can be okay. You can be like... ME!!!! Essentially it amounts to, "I'll pray for you."

I don't need a cure.

Being gay isn't a condition.

Have you looked at anything scientific on the argument of nature vs. nature in the last, I don't know, say 20 years?

Did you know that it is no longer a diagnosis to be gay? Yep, that changed, too.

A. Long. Time. Ago.

And no, I'm not trying to corrupt any youth. I don't teach it in school.

What I do teach is tolerance. That we should respect the differences. That it is okay to be silly. That it is okay to wear glasses. That it is okay to have freckles. It is okay to have two Moms. It is okay to be in a wheelchair. That the world would be absolutely boring if we were all the same. Embrace those differences.

Thanks to Todd Parr for his incredible books on just those differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment